Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS STM
Every time we have a beginner Canon shooter looking for more zoom, looking to get photos of subjects that are further away, the Canon EF-S 55-250mm is our recommendation.
The build quality is entry-level (plastic mount vs. metal on the higher-end siblings) and the auto-focus isn’t as zippy, but you will be astonished by the image quality (don’t tell the enthusiasts spending more, they won’t like it 🙂
Highly recommended for anybody using Canon APS-C cameras whether DSLRs or mirrorless with the optional adapter.
- Lightweight telephoto zoom is easy to carry around in addition to your standard kit lens when you want to capture subject that are far away.
- Get a Full-Frame equivalent focal range of 90-400mm, making this a good lens for compressing landscapes (like making mountains more imposing, making the moon stand out of your scenes).
- Good lens for wildlife that doesn’t mind you getting closer (birds, squirrels, etc..)
- Image stabilisation works with a handy automatic panning detection, for when you are capturing high-paced subject in movement such as birds, athletes and motorsports for when you want to convey a sense of speed with blurred backgrounds.
- Excellent optics and coatings help you capture sharp images in any lighting and the 7 blade aperture will produce a soft blur around your subject when used wide-open.
- A minimum focus distance of 0.85m, while not macro, will let you get quite close to fill the frame with your subject.
|Lens Type||Telephoto zoom|
|Lens Mount||Canon EF-S|
|Compatible Format Sizes||APS-C|
|Lens Hood Supplied||No|
|Size||70 x 111mm|
None at the moment.
58mm UV Filter
58mm Circular Polarizer
Canon Shoulder bag